They're gaining on me






I wanted to show you the narrow foot on the platters I am jiggering. Try throwing a 24 inch platter with a 6 or 7 inch foot ring. Warping is on my mind but I am drying them face down and have made shrinkage coasters to fire under each platter. I just rolled out a slab of the same clay body and cut a circle that will be fired under the platter in the glaze firing. Notice the under cut in the inside of the foot ring. We call this the Aerni undercut. For years I fought Dick's idea of undercutting the foot ring so that the plate can be hung on a screw in the wall. You can turn the plate any which way you want and it works. I've slammed the door many times and the plate is steady as a rock.
I went to the Sheridan third year show this week and took pics of many of the grads that are leaving Sheridan with a toolbox full of applied skills. What a great show!!! Two of the three are off to grad school and I can only imagine how great their work will be 3 years from now. It is a great pleasure to have students doing such fine work that you feel their breath over your shoulder. The first platter is 3 feet wide, the second platter has some sweeeeet decoration and the third pic is of some vases ready for the salt kiln( the cement blocks give an idea of scale).

Comments

Anonymous said…
wonderful work!!!

Popular Posts