Wanna borrow my chainsaw?

This is what I give people when they ask if they can borrow my chainsaw. Nope, I don't loan out my chainsaw. It is my fault if it is dull or won't start. I don't want the have it cut through dirt and nails so if that happens I am to blame.
But speaking of borrowing. I need to borrow some advice from my friend Dan Finnegan about pricing. I have been accused of being the cheap guy on the block. Ya Iris I still hear you chastising me for the price of my teapot! Trouble with this wood fire stuff is that not all pots are created equal. I have some cups here that are killer. They should be at least double the price of the lesser ashed pots and now that I no longer have a retail space the thought of wholesaling them for 50% off really puts them in perspective. I really can't afford to wood fire pots for wholesale at my current pricing. SOS, Dan!

Comments

Dennis Allen said…
My brother has a saying " A borrowed saw will cut anything" I think many people just pick a price that would allow them to eke out a meager living then sell for about half of that.
Bruce said…
Tony, you gotta get Dan to invite you to Pottery on the Hill for next year. And bring lots of pots.
smartcat said…
That's a cool saw, and no we never loan our chainsaws, or any other tools for that matter.
As for pricing, sell the good ones for what you think they should go for. The not so good for half that as irregulars?
But are you sure the poor ones really are. Maybe you need some outside judgement. Yes, your teapots are insanely low priced!
Unknown said…
I price my most complex work on a sliding scale. When someone asks, so why is this little piece $50, and this one here, same size, $80?? I say which one do you like the best? They always point to the $80 one, and then I say "me too!" Then maybe I add that the kiln only gave up a couple of those, so they're very special... or maybe I'll just smile - point made. They usually drop that $80.

Popular Posts