Mad dogs and Englishmen

Yesterday we went to the pottery of Geoff Pickett. Geoff is a ex-pat Englishmen that came to study at U of G - Athens with Ronnie some 3 decades ago and has never left. Truly a mad dog!  He is one of the best kept secrets in the wood fire community that I have seen. His pots are beautifully made, finished, fired and they are soooooooo INEXPENSIVE!  A nice cup $18, a killer shino bowl $20, a 20 lb planter $50. I am usually not a fan of porcelain but Geoff's pots have a robustness usually associated with stoneware. I bought two dinner plates from his gas kiln that have that Harry and May Davis look that I have coveted for years. Geoff's kilns are massive and impeccably maintained. He ought to read my book though as there is no pottery sign, no mailbox with his name on it and the showrooms are a series of metal shacks without lights. Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door is something I can't afford to wait for so I do my shameless self promoting. If you are in the area Geoff Pickett, Farmington, Georgia. Bring cash as I doubt he has a debit or credit card system. Great pots!
I was supposed to go home with some money in my pockets. Oh well, there is always Kraft dinners.




Comments

Annied01 said…
I love to see the wood all corded up like that... Makes you think a firing is possible any day...
Scott Cooper said…
I got one of Geoff's mugs as a gift from Carter "Mad Dog" Gillies and it is spectacular.

Popular Posts