Pot- The Gateway Drug

I am now convinced that pot is the gateway drug to a serious addiction. Some of us that did pot in our youth have not been able to shake this monkey on our backs for entire life times. Heck some of us have made a career out of selling it. Some who haven't been able to go it as a full time habit do some serious binge potting whenever they can. We went to visit a collector outside of Athens, Georgia who really developed the habit- BIG TIME. This gentleman had to build a building to house the 3500 pots he has collected since 2002. He has many others in his home and currently on display in the library in Athens. He has collected studio art production pottery mostly from the 30's and 40's. There was a great display of some of the old North Carolina family names like Nell Graves Coles



. Much of the work is beautiful lead glazed earthenware. It reminded me so much of my roots and the pots of my Uncle Jimmie and Aunt Cavvy at Pinecroft. I was almost sure I would find a piece of theirs. I did find a collection of Blue Mountain Pottery from Collingwood, Ontario. Every house in Ontario had a piece of Blue Mtn Pottery in it. It was a status symbol for the middle classes. It was our art and it could be purchased at places like Birk's Jewellery store and was considered expensive. My mum had a swan.
This collector once went to a show of Warren MacKenzie and bought the entire show. I'm sure that didn't make him too popular.  I guess you do because you can!

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow! What an awesome thing to see!
Cambria Pottery said…
Yeah I have fond memories related to Blue Mountain Pottery. As a 12 year old kid, I was so proud to be able to buy my Mom's birthday present..a vase which I felt was such a special gift.
Unknown said…
Visitors to my shop still mention Blue Mountain Pottery from time to time. Got mine from our wedding registry at Birks indeed.
chandler said…
i went to Blue Mountain Pottery when I was about 10 and going to summer camp near Collingwood. Had a tour of the production studios. We had a creepy vase at home. The antique store next to our gallery in Almonte(www.generalfinecraft.com) sells more of it than we do contemporary clay.
Annied01 said…
Wow, awesome collection!

Popular Posts