So you have lived!


I had a relationship that lasted the better part of 20 years. It started off hot and steamy but over the past 5 or 6 years has smouldered into hardly a puff of smoke. I am of course talking of a relationship with a gallery.
So I called and suggested that I come in and take back the work that is in inventory. It was suggested that perhaps I need counselling. Counselling only works if both people are agreeable.
I don’t need counselling.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. Sometimes you have to decide if you are the right fit for the salad. Perhaps over 4 decades in clay I have gained a little wisdom.
You change, your work changes, the market changes and so do the flavours of the month. I have found that my work sells best when the people selling it like it. I’m not really to fond of all these decal pots. Pottery like war does not determine who is right, only who is left. Will all these new flavours be timeless or are they here today and gone tomorrow? Will these new potters be around 40 years from now?
 My dad’s Yorkshire pudding wouldn’t be much of a hit with kimbop, bulgogi and kimchi. It’s Ok, Dad it was a hit on Sunday night at our house with the oven roasted potatoes, carrots and the roast of beef.  It was paired perfectly with the Castlevetro or the Mateus. We used the left over Mateus bottle for a candle holder and let the wax drip down. Dad wearing a shirt and tie for Sunday dinner, Mum putting out the fine China and all 3 boys expected home and cleaned up for dinner.  Life and tastes have changed a lot.
So you have lived and with that has come change. You didn’t fail, you changed and with that comes growth in another direction .

A woman friend of mine from a different life met my daughter Robin a few years ago and said “Hey Robin how are you doing? I am supposed to ask you if you are married and how many children do you have. Robin answered “I’m awesome, thanks!  I am divorced and I don’t have any kids.” My woman friend answered “So you have lived!” I thought that the most brilliant of answers.

Comments

Popular Posts