The Colour of the Blues


 Blue is the colour of Da Blues. I’m having my last gas firing before shipping my pots to The Rochester Potter’s Invitational. Last year I had brown down and this year I got da blues. Jen won’t have da blues since I just peaked in the wood kiln and she has some beautiful rutile blue green glazes so I’m predicting ca-ching, ca-ching at 260 Fingers in Ottawa.
I have laid down my canvas of brown shino and now to add da blues. I put on my blue denims for the first time in months to celebrate the blues. I think I have put away the shorts for the year.
I don’t have any blue pots in my house- not a one! Why am I making these pots that I wouldn’t have in my own house?  I love blue! It is actually my favourite colour next to yeller. Actually blue and yeller together are killer. Why do I get the blues thinking about glazing my pots blue?  I have just recently stumbled on a couple of blues that I like. Not Cash Flow Blue, Ho Blue, Mother in Law Blue, Floating Blue or any garish blue that would swear at my furniture but one that I think suggests what I see in the spring breakup on Lake Erie. Titanium
 and tin have been my secret weapons.

I’m looking forward to being with the big dawgs in Rochester. There are so many good potters present it gives me hope for the craft and for fine craft shows in general. There is a lot to be said in the word “invitational”. It is not meant to close the door on those that want to be better. It is meant to suggest keep working hard for this is a bar worth reaching for. I was disappointed to see John Gill is not in the show this year. His cups at $350USD were about cups not really cups. They gave so much information for a potter that wants to make cups.

Comments

RichardA said…
Tony, JOhn would have been in the show but he snagged a residency at the Archie Bray out in Montana. Just to keep the Alfred connection fresh, Matt Kelleher and wife Shoko will be showing their work in Rochester this year. I do lots of blue pots...just like to have some hints of other colors and variation in them. Blue is kind of like pink (or like most colors in abundance)...a tasteful use of it can add lots of life to a pot, too much is just too much. See you down here soon!

Popular Posts