Rocks in my head.





Just as I was making some teapots with a wide bottom like I did in my foray with earthenware  5 years ago memory lane came up on Facebook of the wide bottom cups. I loved the look of the red clay so always tried to reveal it.
The earthenware was bright like the city lights where we lived in a trendy part of the city of Hamilton. I was a duck out of water and I really must give credit of the look to my former wife Sheila. She had great taste and a wonderful handling of both clay and decoration. Here are a few pieces of her work here at The Cactus Lounge.
  We were looking at abstract impressionism from a collection at the Albright Knox called The Long Curve. The decoration was inspired by Helen Frankenthaler, Willem de Kooning, Jackson Pollock and such. You don’t need to only look at pottery for inspiration. Grass found inspiration in the flowers in the garden. Wally Keeler found it in tin ware and I find it in rocks and rugged geography. I love rocks especially since I don’t have to water them. I had always lived in the shadows of the Niagara Escarpment which is a fantastic limestone outcropping that runs 400 miles through southwestern Ontario. I now live in sandy tobacco land far from my beloved rocks. I think I have rocks in my head so that will serve for awhile till I visit BC in June to top up my well.
I read Robert Genn’s newsletter this morning and love this by Van Gogh. I just may have to cut off one of my ear’s. Loved this guy.

“My great longing is to make those very incorrectnessess, those deviations, remodelings, changes in reality, so that they become yes, untruth if you like- but more true than the literal truth.” Vincent Van Gogh

Comments

Popular Posts